Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Bad Customer Services

The weekend came. It was Saturday afternoon and my two nieces and nephew all came around to the house. I decided to buy my nephew a pop-up tent. I had a look on the Argos website and reserved a great little two person tent.

Off I went with my two nieces Hannah and Abigail to collect the tent. In between leaving the house and getting to Argos we decided to pop into Toys R Us. We all went to straight to the outdoor section. All the pop ups looked a little small and boring. We did decided on the Thomas The Tank Engine one. It has a small tent with a separate crawl tunnel and a large tent in the shape of the star attraction, Thomas The Tank Engine. After Hannah and Abigail had been and got some sweets and I was £50 less we all made out way back home. The £50 down would be worth it as it would give many hours of enjoyment.

As I got home and brought the box into the house my nephew Aaron was so excited and clapping his hands. At 18 months old he knows all about Thomas and Friends. As I was building the main part of the pop-up I noticed it was very unstable. To save my ears I allowed Aaron to play in the tent. I decided it had to go back to Toys R Us. When Aaron went home I packed the tent back in the box to return it to Toys R Us.

I returned the tent to Toys R Us on Monday. I explained to the to the customer service person that the large tent is to limp and not fit for purpose. I said I would like my money back. I then showed her my receipt. She then said I will need to get the store manager to approve this refund. She then served another customer with some free Lego. You collect the coupons from the newspaper and take them to Toys R Us and they give you a small bag of Lego for your trouble. Off she went to get the store manger as I thought. I seen her go to the tills at the exit to the store and serve another customer. She came back to me and served another customer with some free Lego. She then went off to get the store manager.

The store manager came to the Customer Services Desk. He asked what was wrong with the tent. I explained to him that it is all limp and not safe or fit to play in. He then started to to build the tent in front of me. While building the tent he said I would appreciate it if you where less aggressive towards my staff. I told him I am not an aggressive person. He then started to say I was concerned for my staff's safety. I told him, I would be a happier customer if your staff would deal with one customer at a time. He never replied.

After he spent 20 more minutes of my day building the tent, he then turned to me and said "I will give you a credit note as a gesture of goodwill". I told him that this was not good enough. I said I was returning the tent because it was not fit for purpose. Under the sale of goods act I am entitled to a refund. I then told him to pack the tent up in the box and I would seek legal advice in Manchester city center. I also reminded him that he will be paying my parking fees.

With this he started to issue a refund. It would seem at Toys R Us they have and open till policy when your giving them the money and a closed till policy when you take faulty good back.

REMEMBER: Where the goods are faulty or not fit for purpose you are entitled to a full refund. If you bought your goods online you have seven days to return them with no questions asked. Also if you have bought good through mail order and they are damaged, faulty or not fit for purpose you DO NOT have to pay to send them back.

I hope you have enjoyed reading my blog post, I welcome your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment